Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Treasures can be found in unlikely places

Years ago, I saw a sign that read, "One man's trash is another man's treasure."

That saying doesn't apply to me.

I have my own saying.

"My trash is my treasure."

As I cleaned out the bathroom closet today, I found a tupperware container filled with the most random items.

A charger for something that is most likely obsolete, the toy paint brush from my son's Little Tikes workshop that has a rough handle tip from where our beloved old dog chewed it, a scoop of pretend chocolate ice cream with a cherry on top that came with my daughter's play food collection, a big dice or a die if you're stickler for grammar, a hair clip and some dental floss.

Oh yea, and a piece of velcro. Both sides.

Honestly, I have no idea how these things landed in a bowl in my bathroom closet or how long they've been there.

Most people would have chunked the entire bowl into the trash clearing up valuable real estate on the closet shelf.

Not me.  I felt each item needed close attention.

Since I had cleverly labeled a section of the closet, "dental," I added the floss to the collection of floss boxes, extra tooth brushes and toothpaste.

The hair clip joined all of my other hair clips that I don't actually wear in one of my drawers.

But, as for the other items, I simply left them in the tupperware.

Maybe later I will take the paint brush and put it with the workshop that still sits in my basement.

My son loved his workshop.  And the evidence that our little dog chewed the handle makes the paint brush even more special.

And I will happily put the little scoop of ice cream in the big tupperware of play food I keep as well.

Not so sure about the die.

The fact is, these little items remind me of my children.

For some people, these random toys would be trash.

To me, they are treasured memories of a time gone by.

As for the charger, I suppose I can toss it into the trash but that will take some doing.

But I'm definitely keeping the velcro.

I might need it.


Treasures behind the closet door. 
What's behind yours?


3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I love this message!! Smiling

    ReplyDelete
  2. with our recent move I found all kinds of things I saved from the boy's school years. One of my favorites was a horn Stephen made in Kindergrten at St. Johns when they read a story about 2 swans- can't remember the name but they also built a boat behind their room at school. of course I still kept it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happiness if finding comments on my stories! So fun stylemaven! Love your story about Stephen! Hope y'all are doing well! We need to catch up!

      Delete