Sunday, August 9, 2015

The Art of Doing Nothing

Years ago, my husband gave me a small gift book entitled, "The Art of Doing Nothing."

When I read the cover, I smiled but felt a bit confused given the fact that I epitomized the title.

In fact, I could have written it.

When I opened the book, I saw words.  Lots and lots of words. The mere sight of chapter after chapter explaining how to "do nothing" caused me to close the book and never open it again.

Don't get me wrong. I love the book and the fact that it reminded him of me.

To this day, I like seeing it sitting there looking cute on the end table in our sunroom.

But, a book about doing nothing should simply have short phrases. Blank pages, maybe. Perhaps, just pictures of people doing nothing. Clearly, not long explanations about how to do it.

It's just not that complicated.

But then again, maybe it is for people who aren't experts like me.

So many people have a problem with doing nothing. They feel bored or guilty sitting around not accomplishing anything.

They are the types that simply, "have to be doing something."

I, on the other hand, am excellent at sitting quietly doing nothing.

Sure, my brain is still working.

Well, sometimes.

As I sit silently, I think about what I need at the grocery store. Or, ponder what I should be doing.

Other times, I look out the window and find it amusing how much green I see or stare at my dog and admire how cute he is.

Occasionally, I start planning my daughter's wedding (even though she isn't currently dating anyone) or I reminisce about how much fun we had at the beach at the beginning of the summer.

But, sometimes, I simply sit.

I suppose you could call it an art.

But, really it's nothing.

You are the cutest dog in the whole wide world!
and
To my dear husband, thank you for not giving me the book,
"Get up and do something, why don't ya?


No comments:

Post a Comment