Wednesday, June 24, 2015

To market, to market to find a big smile

The other day when I stepped out of my air-conditioned car, I actually made note of my face. It was ugly and contorted. I felt it.

I groaned out loud in response to the heat as I walked toward the grocery store.

I'm sure I looked miserable. After all, the heat index was triple digits.

As I approached the store with my grumpy face, I noticed a lady coming toward me.

She was a kind looking lady, about 85 years old, pushing her cart toward her car in the scorching heat.

The look on her face was nothing like mine. She wore the most beautiful smile.

I stopped and said, "You sure have a lovely smile today."

She lifted her hand to the sky and said, "Well, the sun is shining."

All the while, she smiled.

In a moment, my scrunched up face turned into a happy one.

With a smile in return, I replied, "It certainly is. That's a good way of looking at it."

Little did I know that I would go to the grocery on the hottest day of the year and return home with much more than food for dinner.

A stranger reminded me to take note of the gifts before me even when they are hard to recognize.  All from one simple smile.

Pass it on.

Let me see.. bananas, Cheerios, bread and smiles!














No comments:

Post a Comment