Sunday, July 17, 2016

Same time, same feeling

I wonder when the sight of them won't make me sad.

This time of year, I run into them often and every time I do, my heart drops.

Today, I watched the two of them smiling and laughing together as they walked through the shopping center parking lot.

After they put their purchases in her trunk, she gave him a hug goodbye since they had arrived in separate cars.

The hug was something I hadn't seen before.

As I passed them, I couldn't resist letting them know how I felt.

I rolled down my window and said, "You two have to stop breaking my heart."

"I'm sneaking in hugs while I can," she said.

I certainly understood that.

Although I didn't actually know them, I knew exactly who they were.

A mother and her son preparing for him to leave for college.

Their purchases gave them away, a collegiate comforter, a bed topper and a trash can shaped like a basketball hoop.

My son and I had bought similar things when we were doing the same thing.

As I drove away, I felt a lump in my throat.

Six years after college shopping with my son, I'm crying at the stoplight.

When my son graduated two years ago, he moved to New York City.

After 23 years, our house was permanently child free.

Even though I've adjusted to the so-called "empty nest" and love my life with my husband, I still miss my children.

Of course, they come home to visit for long weekends and holidays.

But that's just it.

It's a visit.

When they're home, life as we knew it returns.

Coffee on the back porch, dinner around the kitchen table, chocolate chip cookies made from a refrigerated roll, lounging around the family room.

Just "breathing each other's oxygen," I like to joke.

For a few days, I get my old job back. I am a mom taking care of my children.

I sleep soundly through the night knowing my family is under one roof.

It never lasts long enough.

Maybe one day I will look at a mother and son shopping for college and think, I'm glad that's not me.

But not yet.

Maybe not ever.

Quite honestly, I love the memory despite the tears.

I love all of the memories.

To my children I say, thank you for coming home when you can and for warmly welcoming us when we visit.

To my husband I say, isn't it great we have the dog!

Those were the days





4 comments:

  1. Wow- such perfect timing! Stephen and I just went college shipping this week- he was the one that found the waste basket that looked like a basketball hoop. I am so not ready for him to go to school. I am so happy for him= this is such a great time in his life and just the beginning. I am selfishly sad but as a mother I realize that my feelings are secondary to his at this time in his life. I guess this is our 3rd act; a work in progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! It is a difficult time. College is a four year glimpse into your future! Enjoy your time with Bob and cherish every time you are all together! I know you will!

      Delete
  2. I know that I say this with every post but your seemingly simple observations put into perfect prose what so many of us feel but can't quite put into words. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer for such a kind response. I really struck a nerve with moms of older kids with this one.

      Delete