Friday, March 13, 2015

Flying high

I never thought I'd smile at the sight of a fly.

A dragonfly, maybe. Definitely a butterfly. But, not at a common housefly.

That changed yesterday.

As I looked out my bathroom window, I saw the sun shining. I saw a yard full of grass with a only few remaining mounds of dirt-riddled snow.

And then I saw something even more exciting.

There upon the window pane sat a good, old-fashioned, dirty housefly.

The first fly of the season sitting on my window basking in the sun and warmer temperature.

I smiled. I actually smiled at a fly.

Oddly, I feel rather like the fly. I'm ready to emerge from the winter dull-drums and delight in the warmth of the sun.

Spring really is coming.

Surely, I will curse that same fly in a few weeks when he's buzzing around with his pesky, little friends welcoming the season.

But for now, I will smile at a fly and sing, hip hip hooray! Spring is actually headed our way.


Window is larger than it appears. The fly is actual size.








3 comments:

  1. Nancy- I love your insight! I have missed your blogs - I guess it's been a long and cold winter for everyone. I saw a fat and happy robin yesterday and it made me smile. For the past 4 years a robin has nested in a basket by my front door. I never even have a chance to put any flowers in it before she makes her nest. I still have my winter greens in that basket- it got too cold before I could empty it and I just forgot... I need to get rid of them and put in some fresh cocoa fiber so hopefully she comes back! Take care MJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see your blog and good to anticipate spring for sure. If you really want to see signs of spring, I will send you some of our pollen, we have plenty to share. L

      Delete
  2. I too have missed you! I have been waiting to see if the bluebirds will nest with us this year, they have been great company this winter and I want them to stay.

    ReplyDelete