Friday, February 14, 2014

I heart Valentine's Day

I love Valentine's Day. In the middle of funky February, Valentine's Day offers a touch of warmth with its bright red hearts and cute little cupid. Some folks think of it as a Hallmark holiday. To me, it's a day of fond memories and funny misunderstandings all in the name of love.

February 14th was my grandmother's birthday. I treasure the memory of sitting with her on the front steps of my house when I was a little girl. I slowly shared all the treasures I carried in my mother's big, hand-me-down purse. While I don't remember what we said to each other, I do remember the feeling. I felt loved and special. She must not have called me "hard-headed" that day which she often did.

The date also reminds me of the day my sister married the love of her life. As the 13-year-old maid-of-honor, I wore white socks with sandals because I hated my feet. My sister could not have cared less. She was just happy I was standing next to her. She didn't mind me smelling of my favorite lemon perfume either. Lemon? Really? I've always appreciated her love and acceptance.

The day has also brought a few misunderstandings of the heart. I can laugh about them now.

In kindergarten, I decorated a large white envelope to collect Valentine cards from my classmates. Once home with my Valentines, I excitedly looked at each one. I was having the time of my life until I opened the frilly one from Billy McDowell. On the front was a pretty girl holding a bouquet of flowers. She looked like a bride. The sentiment said, "With all my love."

My older siblings were relentless with their teasing. I grabbed the Valentine and ran. I hid it between two albums in my parent's record cabinet. Years later while going through a box of my old things, I found the envelope of Valentines. I also found the tiny, white envelope with the fancy Valentine from Billy. Apparently, my mother had found it and put in my box of keepsakes. I actually still have all of them stored away in a box in my basement.

Looking back, I don't think Billy loved me at all. I think he just randomly dropped a Valentine in my bag. My name wasn't even on the envelope. And, after all, he was only five. He wasn't ready for marriage. However, I should have known better when I was a junior in college.

It was Valentine's Day. My boyfriend called from the telephone in the lobby of my college dorm (no cell phones for loving boyfriends back then). "I need you to come downstairs," he said. I knew at that moment what he wanted. He was going to ask me to marry him. On Valentine's Day no less! We had only been dating for four months but I was ready to say, "yes."

We walked to his car. A silver Mercury Monarch. "I have something for you," he said. I already knew what it was. Something round and gold with a sparkly diamond on the top. And then, he presented me a framed picture of us dancing at his sister's wedding.  We were smiling as he dipped me in my fuzzy, yellow, lambswool dress. He also gave me another frame with little hearts painted on it and a little statue of the cartoon character Ziggy in the corner.
Oh! A Ziggy frame! 
He was so happy with his thoughtful gifts. I treasure them to this day. I didn't tell him what I thought he was going to give me that day until much later. Most probably after we had been married a couple of years.

I love Valentine's Day and the memories of special times with my family, of misunderstandings of the heart, and my "Valentine" I've kept for the last 30 years.

Happy Valentine's to my husband, my children, my family and friends!

Be My Valentine!






1 comment:

  1. Loved this! Especially the insight into yours and Bortie's early romance- so sweet. I have always believed that Valentine's Day is about the small, thoughtful gestures. Save the big ones for another day...
    Don't you remember decorating shoe boxes for Valentine's Day at elementary school? It was one of my favorite days of the year. I always had an unrequited crush on an unsuspecting your boy...
    I hope you had an especially special day today! MJ

    ReplyDelete