Thursday, September 5, 2013

Miscommunication and the missing check book

My husband is a word man.  He says what he means in as few words as possible.  Here's the problem: I hear his words, jumble them up in my brain and respond to what I think he said. Needless to say, this causes problems.  Our brains simply work differently.  The trick is to find the humor in it.

Several years ago, we decided to make some home improvements.  We opened a bank account that was devoted specifically for the project.  We had one check book that we passed back and forth between us to make purchases or to pay contractors.  Everything was fine until the check book went missing.  We blamed each other for losing it.

One day after hours of Christmas shopping, I called him to meet me for lunch at the mall.   We talked for the better part of our lunch hour about the whereabouts of the missing check book.  We took turns reminding each other about when it was used last (by the other person).

Fortunately, the lunch meeting was not completely lost on the missing check book.  We enjoyed the last few minutes chatting about the holidays and the gifts we were getting for our family.   I quickly forgot all about the missing check book.  My mind had moved on.

After lunch, he drove me to my car that was parked at the opposite end of the mall. At the time, I drove a blue Ford Taurus wagon.  I loved that Taurus wagon. Even though it was a station wagon, I thought it was stylish and pretty.   I felt good in it.  I found my keys in my purse and got out of his car.  The check book was far from my thoughts.

"Look good in your car, now," he said.

I quickly responded, "Oh, I always look good in my car."

He smiled, "I meant for the check book."

Me "looking good" in my car.
Final thought: If you're missing your check book, look in the pocket of your husband's raincoat.  That's where we found ours.







No comments:

Post a Comment