Thursday, August 15, 2013

Birthday of a blog

When I was 10-years old, the thought of turning 52-years-old never entered my mind.  The following year, the idea became a mild obsession.

Apparently, it is common for girls to believe they will die at the same age as their mothers.  My mother died at age 51 when I was 11 years old.  In my mind, I would do the same.  I was wrong.  Today is my 52nd birthday.

I’ve lived my life much like my mother.    I grew up, I went to college, I got a job, I got married, and then I left the working world to raise my children full time.   Now, my children are grown and suddenly I have lost my purpose.  My daily life has changed.

I am no longer needed as their chauffeur, clothes shopper, cook, laundry coordinator, teacher conference representative, appointment setter or birthday party planner.   At 52, I am faced with finding a new job, a new purpose.  And since I didn’t get the chance to see what my mother would have done, I am left without a road map.

So I ask myself, what am I good at?

I’ve been known to tell a good story.  They sound very Forrest Gumpy since they usually start with, “my mama always said.”

I am also good at offering advice to my children, husband and friends.  Once a friend even compared me to the Dalhi Lama.  (Most fun compliment ever.)

Additionally, I am proficient at complaining.  The heat, the cold, the wait, the attitude, someone driving too slow, someone driving too fast, texting habits, bad food…  complaining is my specialty. 

And finally, I am a good writer.  Of letters that is… the old-fashioned ones that are hand delivered by the mailman.  

My family and friends have often encouraged me to write a book.  I have appreciated the suggestion since they must believe I have a reason to write one but it’s far too intimidating.  Since writing a book is out, they have encouraged me to write a blog.

Therefore, to commemorate the day I thought I would never see, I am stepping out of my box and starting a blog filled with what I do best...  looking at life and putting in my two cents; sharing the morals of “my” stories; and complaining about the things that bother me most (aka, bees in my bonnet). Happy Birthday blog!

Oh yes, I have another talent … the EtchASketch.


Me stepping out of my box


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this! As someone who has been privileged to your stories, wisdom, advice and complaints for many years, I'm delighted at your new adventure. And the happiest of birthdays to you.

    ReplyDelete